21 Apr Message from the Head of School, April 22nd, 2021
Tomorrow, April 23rd, I’m doing a Learning about Learning talk at the school (in-person!) about trying to parent with wisdom in this age of extreme distraction.
We will be recording the talk, and I strongly recommend that every TCS parent experience this talk. We must be having ongoing conversations about the role of technology in our children’s lives, not in an alarmist, over-reacting way, but in a sane and reasonable way, seeking wisdom together.
I’d like to give you a sneak peek at the main portion of the talk, which will be the “Top 10” best pieces of advice I have to give regarding technology and families with children. Many of these are best begun early, so no family is too young to benefit from this talk. We’ll be covering the topics below, with each of these just being a jumping off place for discussion.
- the adults are in charge, all day, every day
- do your homework, be present, and be annoying if you need to be
- choose apps that require ongoing problem-solving
- let boredom have its natural, wonderful effect
- try never to use tech as a coping mechanism
- relationships are more important than technology
- any technology use needs to fit your family’s values.
- adults need boundaries, too
- try to strike the appropriate “protecting”/”equipping” balance’’’
- enlist the help of knowledgeable, sane, and reasonable people
We haven’t talked about technology in a while at Covenant, and we’re overdue to do so. A lot of tech was used during COVID and a new-normal of tech use may have been established at your house. Now is the time to re-draw those boundary lines and to re-establish those house rules.
It’s my hope that this talk will open some discussion among and within families before the summer comes, as summer break can be the ultimate uphill battle to work children and families out of habits that they can easily fall into.
I hope you can join us – to actually see each other face to face – but remember there is a limit to the number we can have in Room 224, so please RSVP to Christy Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org if you plan to come.
Looking forward to continuing this very important conversation in our community.