The Covenant School offers boys and girls basketball for grades 4-6 with coaches who are hired to teach the game of basketball to our student athletes.
Our coaches love God, love our students, and love basketball. We look for coaches to increase our players’ basketball knowledge and assist in helping them grow as players and as Christ followers. We teach that every player, no matter the skill set, serves an important role as a teammate.
The athletic philosophy at The Covenant School is an outgrowth of our mission. The Covenant School children will be taught who they are in Christ and how to care for their gifts. Their parents will be given tools to grow their children in their gifts to their greatest potential. The athletes will strive to be excellent in each athletic endeavor undertaken for the sake of God’s glory and not for the sake of worldly motivations such as pride, achievement, or fame. Our athletic program will develop our entire school community into a body with these shared goals:
- Our athletes will be encouraged to pursue fitness throughout life, just as they will be lifelong learners;
- Our athletes will learn how to be physically fit and how to properly challenge and care for their “temple”;
- Our athletes will understand that all talents are gifts from God and that boasting or self-pride have no place in His kingdom;
- Our athletes will learn to recognize their own weaknesses and learn to improve their skills through self-awareness;
- Our athletes will form skilled teams that demonstrate a competitive spirit;
- Our athletes will learn the benefits of a team and the privileges and responsibilities of serving as a teammate;
- Our athletes will mature through hard work and discipline to achieve personal and team goals;
- Our athletes will learn the value of competition -- to win and lose with grace;
- Our athletes will celebrate all athletic endeavors by fellow students and encourage teammates when they are struggling to succeed;
- Our athletes will become servant leaders in athletics;
- The parents of our athletes will be models of sportsmanship, will encourage their children to meet their athletic potential, and will support the philosophy, mission, and policies of the athletic program.